Fan Glued

I bought three or so fan glued texts years ago from someone who had edge decorated them but didn't want them. I recently got a laser cutter and decided to see how it would go cutting the inlays for me. It cut the debossing layer of cardboard and the paper inlays really well. I could even tell it to cut a mm off the 'holes'. That gave me the perfect shape to use to press the book cloth into the debossing.


I also tried cutting the two pieces of book cloth on the laser cutter. Also a win, although I should have glued the maroon in place and then butted the teal up against it rather than both together. There is the fraction of a hair gap in some places.

The trunk was freehanded over foil with an ascona tool.

No Category!

My old ipad case at left. Not really a book, but I have a confession. I do most of my reading as ebooks. So as bookish as anything is, in my life.

I used the old cover as a template and reused the internal plastic and magnet structure. The tricky thing was gluing to plastic so I used spray on contact cement. Not something I've ever used in bookbing before.

 I'm a bit concerned about how the Japanese paper will hold up. I need to get some paper sealant to give it a bit of protection from dirt. I can always laminate new paper over the top.

It was only at most a couple of hours' work. Everything went much better than I could ahve hoped for

This time X's thesis. Again, took me way too long to get around to it.

Quite proud of this one. One of the few times the cover came out exactly as I imagined. I'd been procrastinating on it for about a year, trying to work out how to do three separate sets of cuts on up to six layers of bookcloth. Answer - find another way (details on section stitched page).

The cover is based on the image X used in his thesis, and the thesis had to do with a better way of optimising image storage (?) hence the changing sizes of pixels. The curve is one of his graphs. 

Dos rapporte structure with hand drawn lettering on spine and edges. Bookcloth mosaic.

It took K eight months to write his honours thesis and it took me two years to bind it. I guess he knew what he was doing.

Another simplified binding. They have the great advantage (as I've said before) that you can mess up the cover and not have damaged the text.

In this case that was important as I only had one sheet of the endpaper. You can just see it poking out. It's an old fashion-style periodic table. Turns out one sheet wasn't enough for both end papers. Which bring me to what I learnt from this book. Endpapers are the same for a reason. The paper I used for the back endpaper shrank differently from the front endpaper, and now the spine has a slight twist.

The cover design is based on a diagram of the interactions of some of the molecules he was studying. It took me a long time to work out a way to do justice to the symmetry and simplicity of chemistry and give it interest. A also thought it was a good way to use up paper scraps that were taking up space. Needless to say, I ended up buying several more sheets to fill out some of the colours.